Historic Kansas Statehouse Circa 1898
Kansas Statehouse Senate Chambers.
Kansas Statehouse House of Representatives Chambers.
Historic Supreme Court Chambers at the Kansas Statehouse.
Historic cage elevator in Kansas Statehouse near Governor's office.
Kansas Statehouse Rotunda.
State Library of Kansas in the Statehouse North Wing.
- Kansas Statehouse Historic Structure Report
- Missouri State Capitol Stone Repair & Renovation
- Oklahoma State Capitol Exterior Rehabilitation
- Phase I.1: Statehouse Infrastructure & Underground Expansion
- Phase I.2: Statehouse Underground Parking Garage
- Phase II: Statehouse East Wing Interior Restoration
Kansas Statehouse Preservation & RestorationKansas Capitol
Ensuring the Long-Term Durability of the Kansas Statehouse
For more than 140 years, the Kansas Statehouse has stood as a silent witness to historic executive, legislative and judicial events. As project architects for the Kansas Capitol building restoration, Treanor Architects, along with our consultants, takes pride in its role to ensure the long-term preservation of this architectural and historic treasure.
The multi-phase Kansas Statehouse restoration included restoration of the first through fifth floors, rehabilitation/expansion of the basement, complete exterior masonry restoration, and copper roof and dome restoration. Treanor Architects carefully designed the phasing of the project to ensure that both the capitol and legislative chambers were open throughout construction. Work on the project included:
- Site utilities and building infrastructure upgrades
- Underground 550-car parking garage
- Ground-level reclamation and expansion to include a new visitors' center with, modern classroom and orientation auditorium
- East Wing interior restoration including Senate Chamber
- West Wing interior restoration including House of Representatives Chamber
- South Wing interior restoration including Old Supreme Court Chamber
- North Wing interior restoration including State Library of Kansas
- Rotunda interior restoration
- Exterior masonry restoration
- Copper roof and copper dome restoration
This preservation and restoration project successfully restored historic materials; maximized existing spaces by converting underutilized areas, such as the basement, into usable spaces; created new spaces, such as offices, mechanical vaults and parking, in non-obtrusive sub-grade additions; and improved the building's function and safety through the use of new building systems and computer technology.
- Kan-Struct Awards Honors Kansas Statehouse
- Kansas Statehouse Wins 2015 Copper in Architecture Award
- Palladio Awards Recognize Kansas Statehouse
- Kansas Statehouse Recognized at 2014 AIA CSR Design Awards
- Kansas Statehouse Wins 2014 NACIA Award
- Kansas Statehouse Wins 2014 AIA Kansas Design Award
- Kansas Statehouse Preservation Wins KPA Award